Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What is a hypochondriac?

I was talking to my friends the other day and we were talking about how each of us felt like a hypochondriac at some time in our life, while we were dealing with our social anxiety. The problem was that we all had an idea of what a hypochondriac was, but we didn't have a real definition. So we asked ourselves, what is a hypochondriac?

For some people being a hypochondriac means that they are always taking some type of medication thinking that they are sick or dying. This is not a behavior that is good for someone especially when they are usually not sick.

I know what it is like though, because my doctors missed the fact that I was a hypochondriac because they were only looking at my social anxiety. They wanted to change that and I had to finally ask them what is a hypochondriac? I knew that I was dealing with this problem but didn't know what to do.

Today, I am helping other people answer the question what is a hypochondriac for themselves.

Hypochondria can make you feel crazy. I remember that every time there was a change in my skin or my body of any kind I was running to the doctor thinking that something was terribly wrong and I was going to die. I was torturing myself for no reason.

Do these symptoms sound familiar? If so, then you too, are answering the question what is a hypochondriac.

No comments: